Thursday, November 6, 2008

Frank McCourt's Teacher Man

The following was a comment under Angela's Ashes, but I wanted to turn it into a post because a) it's so brilliant : ) and b) I found something to add that really is brilliant and I don't want anyone to miss it. Here's what I wrote before:

Before delving into Hannah Coulter, I sped-read through McCourt's Teacher Man. Unusual for a person with a moniker like mine, I know, but it only took me two days! I think I like this book best of his other two (I'd read 'Tis years ago and can't remember much of it except being disappointed he'd become a drinker, although apparently not a "drunk" like his dad). His accounts of the classroom and his handling of it are fascinating. I'd come to the end of a chapter and decide "just one more." McCourt seems to have floated along in life without guiding principles, but in the end, he adhered to whatever forms or philosophy represented the opposite of his Catholic education. (We're getting quite a Catholic theme going here.) Anyway, other than one scene that seemed unnecessary in its depiction, this is an enjoyable book that rounds out our experience with Frank McCourt (although now I think I'd like to read Malachy's book).

Here's what I wanted to add:

I just read this article by a rabbi who tricked a disinterested classroom into grasping the fallacy of moral relativism. Now this is teaching. You'll enjoy it, and maybe want to use it with your children or students.

No comments: