Monday, May 23, 2011

Thoughts on The Beautiful Side of Evil

I don't plan to say too much, but what I will say is that Johanna Michaelsen truly opens your eyes to some things that we don't like to think about or dwell on. And that's probably how it should be. The point that comes through in The Beautiful Side of Evil is that it's a mistake to think too much or too little about the matters she discusses. (You can see I don't even like to put them into words.) The occult is definitely not something to play around with. Her book is fair warning.

Which brings me to a question that occurred in our discussion: What's so beautiful about evil? The author certainly leaves no beauty to be desired there. It seems to me that the reason more people don't fall for this stuff is they're not so open to any experience as Johanna was. They're more doubtful about strange phenomena. They're frightened of it. For good reason. It has no fascination for me.

Strangely enough, in my mail this week at work was a catalog from Inner Traditions. I have no idea how I got on their list; it was addressed to me at one of my blogs for work. I can't think of any reason they would connect it to what they're selling. I mention it here because their list of products reads like some of the things Johanna warns about. To me, it was interesting the kinds of things this new-agey catalog brings together:

Books about new consciousness ("How to thrive in transitional times and participate in the coming spiritual renaissance") and plant wisdom ("Consulting plant spirits for spiritual and psychological guidance and healing"). Books about "ghostly processions of the undead" and "talking animals." Other topics include yoga, voodoo, "rebel angels," the planetary mind, essential oils, Chi Kung, shamanism, Tai Chi, neurofeedback, and end times. On facing pages there's a book about the Temple of Solomon and another about invoking the scribes of ancient Egypt.

So, this stuff is definitely out there. And it's really OUT THERE, if you get my drift. Buyer beware!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I agree with what you said. I was asked by a friend who used to be in the New Age for 35 years to watch this. You're right; if you're not that open, you won't fall like that either.

Frankly I think she's a bit over the top. I did watch about 30mins of her youtube lecture on this book. I was totally drained watching it. Her cynicism drained me; her criticism drained me.

It's interesting that people can develop a certain mindset and back it up with bible. Anyone can do this. But not so interesting when it becomes their pet that they defend at all costs.

Slow Reader said...

Thanks for commenting, Lisa. I didn't take the time to watch the video yet, only read the book. I imagine having a similar reaction. What clips I've seen show a woman obsessed by her warning. I took her to be sincerely and rightly concerned for people, though. I suppose the Bible's prophets seemed a little crazed in their time too.