Friday, September 12, 2008

A Poem for Lent

We concluded our discussion of Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage (The Crosswicks Journal, Book 4) and A Grief Observed by reading this poem which was quoted by Madeleine L'Engle in Two-Part Invention. The poem appears without a title in that book, but it is described as being translated from Spanish by a personal friend and is attributed to John of the Cross. It was truly a fitting way to end our discussion and focus our thoughts during the Lenten season.

I am not moved, my God, to love you
By the heaven you have promised me.
Neither does hell, so feared, move me
To keep me from offending you.

You move me, Lord, I am moved seeing you
Scoffed at and nailed on a cross.
I am moved seeing your body so wounded.
Your injuries and your death move me.

It is your love that moves me, and in such a way
That even though there were no heaven, I would love you,
And even though there were no hell, I would fear you.

You do not have to give me anything so that I love you,
For even if I didn’t hope for what I hope,
As I love you now, so would I love you.

No comments: